Friday, August 9, 2019

Favorite Places





I have difficulty choosing favorites of anything, usually because I feel that there are so many wonderful options and I simply can't pick between them. Choosing a favorite place is no exception - I have a habit of falling in love with nearly any place in which I spend very much time. So, rather than bore you with what would end up being nothing more than a comprehensive list of every place I've ever lived or visited for more than a day or two, I will just share my first "favorite" place: my hometown.

La Porte City, Iowa, is a sleepy little town of around 2,200 people, and my family lives a few miles outside of it. Surrounded by the whispering green of endless cornfields, the landscape is certainly serene. 

(Iowa cornfield)
However, despite the (mostly correct) popular belief that Iowa is composed of nothing but corn, there is more to it than that. I hail from the southeast corner of the northeast quadrant of Iowa - almost central, but not quite. If you're willing to travel a bit further to the northeast, there are achingly beautiful scenes to behold: deep, green forests coating soaring bluffs, the Mississippi River carving its way through trees and limestone, and lakes and ponds scattered amidst it all. 

(View of the Mississippi River from Pikes Peak State Park, Iowa
Photographer: McGhiever)
Iowa is a beautiful state, and it was my very first home. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, look at those cornfields, Alli... the colors are so pretty that it's more like a painting than a photo. (I like in tobacco country, so it is all tobacco fields along the road where I live.) And the river view is beautiful too! Plus here's a thought: nobody has ever done a project for this class with stories along the Mississippi River... maybe that is something you might consider! :-)

    ReplyDelete